Tuesday 11 February 2014

Being Alone with T1D

It is easy to say that T1D can be a large part of your life but when it comes down to it we are all just trying to have the best life possible. One of the areas that has always put weight on my mind is being alone and dealing with T1D. Having the fear that a serious hypo will attack at night and cause you either to wake up in a diminished state or not wake up at all is something that each and every T1D has to come to terms with at one stage or another.

I have been told and have read about services that will call your phone number at a set time every morning and if you answer then the service is met but if they have 2 failed attempts then they call a set second number of a family member of friend. If they answer then they have the opportunity to check that your ok. If the family member or friend doesn't answer then the ambulance is called to ensure you are checked and ok.

I have been through multiple stages with in my 24 years with T1 where I have been absolutely terrified of being alone and not trusting that I could manage it all myself in every situation, one of these instances I found myself trying to convince my parents to allow my younger brother to move out of home to rent with me. I must have been in a state cause through the stress and worry while trying to convince them a hypo hit like on cue and caused me to need help to get it rectified quickly. After that conversation and a few hypo tears it must have made a clear picture of my need as it was decided that I get my house mate.

Then there are times like now where being alone is not a worry. I have confidence that my control is good and that if an unexpected hypo was to occur (even in the middle of the night) then I have the strength to get up and get everything back on track. That I have the ability for my body to still produce enough adrenaline to ensure the mind stays active enough to react.

I wouldn't do anything stupid like drink heavily or do an excessive amount of 'out of the norm' exercise when I know I am alone but I would still live life. As with everything else in this T1D life it is about balance and confidence.

Balance, to understand that everything has some sort of effect and you need to monitor you BSL and balance the nutritional intake.

Confidence, to have faith that the work that you put in each and every day will be enough to get you through on auto pilot if needed. Confidence that plans, if needed, are in place to ensure all is well and confidence that we manage our lives with T1D and it isn't T1D taking us on a ride.

Even though we sometimes feel alone in this life with T1D actually being alone adds another complexity and heart ache to the situation. It is never easy but it is manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment