Wednesday 9 April 2014

What is worse!

Please don't think that I have a mis belief that T1D is the worst thing out there because I know it is far from it and people do suffer a great deal more however having a critical disease that you live with every second of every day is a big thing to deal with.

If I had a dollar for every person that told me (including my family) that it could be worse at least you don't have cancer. Well I have come across this situation recently with my mother being diagnosed with cancer. Every case is different but in this instance I have been met with mixed emotions. In one way I was devastated and concerned with the health and well being of my mum. We went through the action plan, and yes there were some drastic measures to address the cancer. In this case we were lucky because the cancer was caught early and with some surgery the cancer was gone and the further drastic measure of chemo was not going to be needed. So all in all a great result for something that can be a death sentence at times.

Now on the flip side. This may seem selfish but after living with T1D for 24 years and now having MS I could not stop myself from thinking that I wish I could have a day in hospital for an operation so I could live normally again. So I didn't have to calculate everything, everyday. So that I could go for a run without worry of a hypo. Of course this was a feeling that quickly past but I suppose it just put it into perspective that sometimes for a person that is living with a incurible disease there isn't anything worse in that second.

No comments:

Post a Comment