Friday 4 July 2014

The day it all began - Diaversary

Today I have mixed and strange feelings, I wonder to myself whether or not I need to be happy, excited or angry and confused. Today is the eve of what many call their "Diaversary". This is the first time in 24 years, and it is because I am a lot more thoughtful since my daughters diagnosis, that I have been able to sit back and recognise the day that it happened some 23 years and 364 days ago.

Is it something you celebrate? Is it something like a birthday? Or is a time to reflect on what has been done and what will be done?

For me I think it is the later, reflect on achievements made through the years, celebrate that life still comes first and that T1 has not caused major problems. Celebrate on the advancements in management and the ability I have had to change to make my life better.

Before 1921 there was no management, there was no insulin to keep us alive. Now that may seem like a long time ago however I then put it in perspective with the people around me. My grandmother was roughly born around the same time that insulin was found. My grandmother is still alive now and to me I would say that modern management of T1D has been available for only 2 generations. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like a long time to me at all.

Then to think of the advancements from glass syringes to disposable syringes, no blood test equipment to machines that take 5 seconds to give you an accurate reading, urine base ketone tests to once again blood machines to calculate ketones and probably the biggest change is the modern day insulin pumps and CGM sensors. I saw a photo a photo the other day of the first insulin pump and it resembled a ghost busters back pack. To think we have moved from that to a small pager device that has the ability to mimic the natural body's insulin production. This I am thankful for. Not only for me but most for my daughter. If I can maintain tight control then maybe just maybe she can also learn to keep any complications at bay.

Now that we have looked behind us now it is time to get excited of what could be in front. If in 93 years we can go from death to having the ability to manage this disease with a little pager then what is coming at us in the near future. With the rapid advancement of technology I would have to say that the next breakthrough in management is only around the corner. Whether it is a full blown artificial pancreas that is able to determine the BSL and then give either insulin or glucagon to keep it in range or if there are elements of automated predictability then anything is welcome. Anything that will help maintain levels to keep the other hidden complications at bay is always going to be welcome at my door.

So in reflection of this post tomorrow is my "Diaversary" and I will celebrate who I am and what I have become with T1D on my side and look toward tomorrow for things that will make the next 24 years as successful as the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment