Monday 16 September 2013

Adding a licence or 2 to a life with T1D

I would have to say I have been lucky. Whether luck is something that happens or if it is something that is awarded for hard work then that comes down to personal opinion but I believe that the work you put in will determine what is returned.

Before getting my learner a permit I was freaked out. I had heard all the horror stories including T1D's can't drive, limited licence possibilities and continual review just to keep the licence were just some. However I went to the 2 places where I was going to get the answer for sure, my doctor and the road authority VicRoads. What I found out not only surprised me but put my fears to rest. Yes T1D's can drive and drive unrestricted however it would take good management and a note on a licence indicating that there is a medical condition. The other thing that needed to happen was to have a medical report completed by my doctor. The report would look at the overall control. If you are neglectful and have a lot of highs and a lot of hypo's then the ability to be allowed to drive is diminished. This isn't the only condition or situation where this happens I had a conversation with my Nan just recently where she was recounting that to be able to keep her licence she only now (over 80 years of age) needed to have a yearly review to ensure she was capable. She was shocked to realise that even though I was no where near 80 years old I had been having similar reviews for the last 16 years and would continue for the rest of my life.

If the report isn't done in the required time or if you forget to do it then your licence is swiftly suspended until such time as the review is done. As I have my endocrinologist fill in my medical report it just so happened that the report was due and the was a lag time to be able to make an appointment I was in trouble. I had to contact the authority and explain to them the situation. Thinking that I was going to be walking until I could get my report done I was surprised that they gave me an extension until after the time I had my appointment booked in for. There is a reason why these measures are in place and as always it is because of the minority that the majority have to suffer.

One of the easiest thing I did though after having my car licence was to get my motorbike licence. Once again thinking that there could be some hurdles the was little more than a single question "was my car licence up to date?" To which the answer was "Yes" and I proceeded with the tests and practise exam and yes obtained my licence. I actually went a few years without a car at all but then I had kids so the fun had to stop.

I suppose as with anything with T1D it is daunting to know what could happen and what hoops you may have to jump through to do something however it should never let you stop trying. I have travelled, scuba dived, jumped out of aeroplanes, gone on numerous thrill seeking roller coasters and lived life in general. Not because I want to prove anything but because I want to live the best life possible and I will make my diabetes fit to my life and not have T1D dictate what I can or can't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment