Sunday 29 September 2013

3 weeks into testing my knowledge

We are now over 3 weeks into the next chapter of my T1 life and the beginning of my daughters T1 life. To tell you the truth I am in complete amazement as to the resilience and adaptability of both my daughter and my wife. My wife has gone from knowing that I have T1 and some general rules all the way to knowing the intricacies of how to manage a 2 year old on a pump. She has gone from being scared of seeing needles to someone that is now giving them. My wife is am amazing woman and I thank the world that our daughter has her to help her through this journey. I am thankful also that she is a team with me battling to give our daughter the best T1 life possible.

My daughter, Shiloh, WOW. She amazes me on a Dailey basis. From cheering when her blood is accepter into her BSL machine to only spooking for mere seconds when we give her a set change for her pump. Absolutely amazing and I thank her for her bravery.

Even though she is only 2 she sees the importance of the pump. She accepts it on her waist and if anyone goes near or it is about to fall off because of rough housing with her sisters she calls out to either me or her mum "MY PUMP, MY PUMP" we look to her and usually find it either in her hand or about to fall or bungee as I like to call it. She allows us to calculate and enter the details because even though she won't know the details for some time she knows that once the pump went on she started to feel better. I would like to believe that it is her thanks for realising and making her feel the best she has in months.

A personal note to my daughter, because I hope that one day she will read this. "Shiloh you are an amazing child with strength, determination and percaverance. Life with T1 can be difficult but with help, knowledge and a greater partnership and family support we will survive and live like nothing can stop us. You are a precious child that will destroy anything or anyone that gets in you way. Your mother and I love you and thank ourselves everyday that you are who you are".

Over 3 weeks in and we are testing what works. Now that your sisters are home the activity has risen in the afternoons and we were experiencing lows so we adjusted your basal rate to settle you through you jumping, running and wrestling. During the night your levels were peaking then dropping suddenly so we have adjusted you sensitivity levels as the correction dose was a little to strong. All in all though you have better control than I do. I was amazed to look at the pump download to see on average no matter the time of day you are in range.

We know that there will be challenges along the way however this is the start I wanted and strive for.

Another night of broken sleep is ahead but good night to all and let's see what challenges T1D brings tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment